Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Central Park Winter Jam 2007

For the past few weeks we've had days with single-digit temperatures, yet not a single speck of snow fell. I've had my share of frostbite-like "burns" at the back of my hands and knuckles that no amount of salve can soothe - yet not a single snowflake I saw.

We've been waiting and waiting. Everyone anticipating.

As a last resort, P and I took S to the Naumburg Bandshell in Central Park last weekend for their annual Winter Jam. The main crowd drawer was the fact that event organizers brought their own snow! There was cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, a snow boarding ramp...
They even built an igloo for the kids.

What was a bit ridiculous was the fact that we had to freeze our asses off while we stood in line for about half-an-hour before we could even get in the roped area to play with the "snow".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzDUERtyDf0
Among other attractions were pro-snow boarders during tricks and flips on a trampoline, ice-sculpting demos, and great music provided by Jibbs and DJ Mark Ronson.
Dunkin' Donuts provided free hot chocolate and in another tent, cups of hot apple cider were given away freely as well.
S and friend (above) playing with measly 3-inch man-made snow.
Winter is hands down, my least favorite season of the year. But I must admit - it'll suck even more if we don't get the chance to have a thick blanket of powdered soft snow covering the streets, tree branches, and rooftops at least once before Spring finally pops its purty tuliped-head in.
I thought I'd never say this but the fact is, I'm sure GLAD were having this snowstorm TODAY. Bring it on!!

LINK:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home